Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Am I A Christian???


The other day I was talking to an ex-boyfriend that was talking about his former relationship with another woman and his description of her was "She is a Christian lady." This already difficult conversation (since this is someone that I still have feelings for) and statement hurt me to the core because it seem to imply that the new woman was something that I was not.  I thought to myself, "Did he not think I was a Christian lady too? Am I not a good Christian? More importantly, is God pleased with me?"  

Although the statement bruised my "spiritual" ego it also caused me to reflect on what it means to be Christian.  It also made me think about how do I demonstrate my walk with Christ in my personal and professional life. Years ago I thought being a Christian meant being religious.  When I first gave my life to Christ I was on constant "hallelujah" auto-play with everyone I met.  I consistently talked only about the scriptures, preached to everyone I knew, submerged myself in the studying of the word and listened only to gospel music.  

One of the most important revelations during this period of discovery was that I realized that being Christian meant more than the outward appearance.  It was more about being a true follower of Christ's teachings. This is why I absolutely love the ministry of Jesus Christ! Unlike the Sadducees and Pharisees (the religious scholars that were caught up in rituals and the law) Jesus taught his followers to develop a deeper and personal relationship with the God.   

Jesus was constantly challenged by religious leaders during his walk on the earth.  Many leaders of the law accused Jesus of blasphemy and called him a fake, heretic, liar, and even a demon ruler! Jesus even had to defend himself to the religious teachers in Matthew 5:17.  He stated, Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to fulfill it."

I certainly desire to strengthen my faith and walk in Christ and so I am constantly pressing to become a better believer.  Perhaps I needed to hear that statement so that I could rededicate myself and refocus on strengthening my faith.  Perhaps I needed to be motivated to seek the scriptures for new revelation and direction.  Perhaps I needed to hear that statement to remind me of what I do not want to become.  Because I know one thing for sure...I dont want to be religious; I want to be like Christ.

We are all spiritual beings having a human experience.  As the bible says, "We all fall short of the glory of God" but the wonderful thing is that He gives us a daily opportunity to receive a fresh anointing. I will continue to stand on the scriptures as my guide and below I have listed some of my favorite verses.  I pray that God continues to give me the strength, revelation, discipline and courage to follow the true teachings of Jesus Christ.  I hope these scriptures bless you like they have blessed me.

John 10:27

 27My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

John 13:34-35

34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Luke 16:14-15
 14And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these things: and they derided him.

 15And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.


Luke 4:18

18 “ The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me,
       Because He has anointed Me
      To preach the gospel to the poor;
      He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,[a]
      To proclaim liberty to the captives
      And recovery of sight to the blind,
      To set at liberty those who are oppressed;

Peace, Love and Blessings!

5 comments:

Kristen said...

Great post Tosha! I can relate to everything you are saying. I tell people all the time, Im interested in RELATIONSHIP with God versus religion. I think religious people expereince God, but those with relationships ENCOUNTER Him...and I want multiple ENCOUNTERS!!! :-)

Thanks for sharing and God bless you on your journey!

dstinctive1 said...

I love it Tosha! I feel like this soo often. You have adequately explained why so many people are feeling lost because they are constantly condemned by the Pharisees walking around in this world. Our relationship with Christ is all that matters and is all that is going to last.

Jackie H. said...

Great post Tosha, and great to see you over the weekend...

Teresa said...

LaTosha, I thank God for you. Beyond all doubt you are a Christian woman. I watch you show the love of Christ even when others dissapoint you. You speak truth and you have great compassion for people. I have learned from your Christian walk. Keep walking in truth and light. Love Teresa

thebuttonmushroom said...

"I don't want to be religious; I want to be like Christ" - I couldn't agree more! God bless you on this amazing journey. I only wish that more non-Christians knew that that's what it means to be a Christian - Christ-like, not religious and legalistic. It should be love, not laws, that defines us.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." ~ 1 Corinthians 13:13.